Travelling to and from Liege
>> If you are travelling by plane and landing at Brussels Airport
Important note: Travel, arrival and check–in at Brussels airport (and all train stations) have completely returned to normal.
- Proceed from the airport to the elevator, following the signs to the train station. You will have to cross a parking lot and follow the signs; the walk is about 3 minutes, and the way to the station is clearly indicated.
- If you need to purchase tickets, you can do so at the ticket machines or counters. You can also purchase train tickets online at: https://www.belgianrail.be/en/timetable-and-buy-tickets/Search/secure/buy-your-ticket-step-1.aspx
- Trajectory: From Brussels Airport-Zaventem to Destination station: Liege-Guillemins. Price of a return ticket is € 37,60 (2nd class; there is no range of different fare types as in the UK for example). Note that round trip tickets are only available if the return is scheduled on the same day; you will have to buy two one-way tickets.
- Note: There is a surcharge (“Diabolo tax”) for using the Airport Station, € 5.14 for single ticket. You can buy these online, at the ticket machines or counters, or you can simply buy these on board from the ticket collector when he checks your ticket (info here: http://www.belgianrail.be/en/travel-tickets/tickets/diabolo-fee-from-airport.aspx)
>> If you are travelling by train (Eurostar/Thalys/ICE, etc.)
For all information on destinations, connections and tickets to and from the Liege-Guillemins station, check https://www.b-europe.com/Travel/Practical/Station%20information/Li%C3%A8ge-Guillemins
- There is a direct Thalys connection Paris – Liège-Guillemins.
- There are connections from London, Amsterdam, Cologne and other major European stations to Brussels. Once in Brussels, you will have to change connection to Liège (to Liege-Guillemins Station).
- If you are travelling with the Eurostar from London for example, you will need to switch trains in Brussels (Midi/South/Zuid station) in order to get a connection to the Liège-Guillemins station.
- When booking a Eurostar ticket from London, you can choose “Brussels/Any destination in Belgium” as destination. Your ticket is then valid for any destination, including Liège.
>> Directions within Liege: From/To the Station, University and Hotels
To reach the centre from the Liège-Guillemins station, you have several options:
- Walking to the university takes approximately 20 minutes, it is a nice walk alongside the Meuse river
- There are buses departing from the station: lines 1 and 2 will bring you to the center, you can go down at “Opéra” (line 1) or “Rép. française” (line 2), which will bring you right next to the Ibis Hotel. You can buy tickets on board (cash only); a single ticket costs 2,10 EUR and a one-day ticket costs 5 EUR. See map: https://www.infotec.be/Portals/0/TEC%20Li%C3%A8ge_Verviers/PDF/plan%20reseau%20centre%20Lg.pdf)
- At Liège-Guillemins, you can change and take a train stopping at Liège-Palais, which is right in the centre, a ten-minute walk to the university. Your train ticket from Brussels covers for the trip (“Liège zone”). Trains coming from Brussels only stop at Liège-Guillemins, make sure you go down and then change train.
- Taxi: This is by far the easiest option, and not that expensive. From the station you can find a taxi stand to your right as you are exiting the station. The average rate to and from the centre is around 10 EUR.
- Bicycle: For the more adventurous. You may opt to use the rental bikes: when you go out of the station, immediately go to your left along the station, there is a bike rental place called “Blue bike”; it costs 3 EUR/day (more info: http://www.blue-bike.be/fr)
>> Getting to the University
Note: The conference venue is the University of Liege (ULg) Humanities (“20 Août”) Campus, located in the centre of town, i.e., at Place du 20 Août, no. 7, Building A1 (the older building) – not the remote Sart Tilman campus.
- From Hotel Ibis Liège Centre Opéra: turn left and walk down the Rue de l’université and there you are!
- From Hôtel Le Cygne d’Argent: from the hotel street, go right on the Rue des Augustins, then take the third street on your left (Place Saint Jacques), walk by the church and take the second street on your right (Rue du Vertbois), walk down until you reach the roundabout, cross the road and head under the bridge and across the pedestrian Place des Carmes”, then immediately turn right into the Rue des Carmes, walk down and you will reach the university.
- The other hotels listed above are all within walking distance (15-20 minute walk maximum).
>> Knowing your way around the University Building
The majority of the events take place in Building A1 (the older building), at the Salle des Professeurs. The Salle des Professeurs is easy to find: take the large stairs in the main entrance hall, go up to the first floor, and there it is. 360-degree view
An interior map of the university building is available here.